January January 15, 1930 - Mersey Paper Company’s new steamship, Markland, completed her maiden voyage from the builder’s yard in England, with a brief stop at Glasgow, Scotland, to pick up a cargo of mixed freight for Halifax, including a consignment of Scotch whiskey. From Halifax, she came directly to Liverpool to pick up her first load of paper for New York, and continued to make two monthly trips to that city.
February February 1, 1946 The Advance of February 21, 1946 published the following: James Frelick Makes Record - When councillor James Frelick of Western Head took his seat at the council table this week at the annual meeting of the Queens County Council, he made a record which will no doubt go down in history. For 48 years, Mr. Frelick has represented District No. 1 continuously, and, believe it or not, during those 48 years, he has never even missed one session of this executive body. We defy comparison anywhere in the Dominion of Canada. Note: James Andrew Frelick was born in 1870 and died in 1955, serving council for 50 consecutive years, from 1899 until the age of 80 in 1949, representing District 1.
February 7, 1854 - Gorham College, established on College Street in Liverpool in 1848, burned to the ground. The six-year-old educational institution had local students as well as New Brunswick and the states of Maine and Massachusetts. In newspaper notices of 1851, the college offered Greek and Roman languages, lierature, mathematics, mental and moral science, logic, political economy, classics and fine letters.
February 23, 1880 - A New York Times story reported that salmon had made their appearance in Port Medway River, and several had been captured.
March March 26, 1886 - New York Times reported the Brigantine Georgina, owned by Anderson & Bill of Liverpool, had been more than three months on a voyage from St. Thomas to Liverpool, and all hopes of hearing from her had been abandoned. On board was Captain Nathan Zwicker and a crew of seven: Joseph Malone, mate Edward Zwicker Allan Miller William Gooseley William Powers Joseph Phillips Another, unidentified
April April 21, 1868- Anglican church minister Rev. E. E. B. Nichols wrote: selected a site at Hunts Point for a church 150 x 160 feet. In 1870, it was reported: At a visitation held this spring, a new church was consecrated at Hunts Point, built on land given by a longtime friend of the church, Mr. Drew R. Blackett.
May May, 1942 -Harvey Inness of Beech Hill Farms was among survivors who arrived home after their ship was shelled and torpedoed.
May 30, 1942 - SS Liverpool Packet, owned by Markland Shipping Company of Liverpool, N.S., carrying general cargo and war materials, was torpedoed by a German U-boat, 12 miles southwest of Seal Island, west of Cape Sable Island. Two crewmen were lost, 19 survived in lifeboats.
July, 1961 - Hunts Point Railway Station was moved to Liverpool to be used as a tool shed and trolley house.
July 1, 1936 - A cairn was erected at Fort Point Lighthouse in Liverpool by Queens County Historical Society, featuring two bronze plaques commemorating two outstanding events in Liverpool’s history. The plaque on the landward side recognizes the 1604 visit by Sieur de Monts and his geographer Samuel de Chaplain to Port du Rossignol, later renamed Liverpool. The plaque on the seaward side commemorates the privateers who sailed for the British navy during the American Revolution and the War of 1812.
July 10, 1887 - The Merrimac, a 270-foot passenger/freight steamer with passengers and general cargo was stranded on a reef at night near Little Hope Island, off Port Mouton, and broke up two days later. There were no fatalities. About 100 passengers and crew were landed safely. The vessel was on a trip from Halifax to Boston.
August August, 1941 - Four airmen were killed in a crash at Beech Hill
August 8, 1998 - The Matthew Atlantic, a 37-metre fishing vessel, was sunk in Port Mouton Bay to become a recreational diving park. No explosives were used to scuttle the ship. Hatches were opened and she went down after three hours, settling on the bottom in 55 feet of water.
August 11, 1882 - The schooner Amazon, owned by James McCarty of Pubnico, Nova Scotia, was wrecked at Pudding Pan Island, near Port Medway. The crew was saved. The Amazon had been fishing on the Grand Banks of Newfoundland. The vessel and outfits were insured for $2,300.
August 16, 1886 - A very heavy rain and thunderstorm passed over Queens County. At Brooklyn, lightning struck the Baptist church and completely gutted one side of the building. A number of people were affected by the shock, and one woman who was, according to the news reports of the event, made “insensible”, and in the following day’s news, was reported still in “a precarious condition”.
August 24, 1886 - The schooner Millie B. ran ashore on Port Mouton Island, at 10 o’clock at night. Captain Downie was killed by the main boom breaking while he was tryin to carry a line ashore. Benjamin Downie, the cook, was drowned. The rest of the crew was saved. The vessel belonged to C. Locke & Company of Lockport, and was homeward bound from The Grand Banks of Newfoundland with a full load of codfish. The schooner broke up and was a total loss
August 28, 1886 - The schooner, Bertha, bound from Port Medway for Halifax, was hit by the steamer Nova Scotian, damaging the Bertha’s main boom, davits, and boat, and the mainmast was sprung. Crew of the schooner said the steamer was coming directly behind them, and that there was another schooner just abreast of their vessel. They thought the steamer would change her course before coming too closely and would go between the two schooners. They felt no alarm until the steamer came within a couple of lengths without altering her course. Then, they tried in every way to attract the attention of the steamer’s crew, but not until they were nearly on top of the schooner did those on the Nova Scotian observe her danger. The engines were immediately reversed but it was too late, and the Bertha was struck on the main boom. Eight passengers, six of whom were females, were on the schooner. On ascertaining that there was no danger of the schooner sinking, the steamer continued to port. The Bertha reached Halifax without assistance. The steamer agreed to pay the damage.
August 29, 1879 - Four Queens County vessels with their crews were lost in a storm. One was the schooner Leader of Port Mouton which had sailed from Liverpool and was last seen off Sambro on her way to Sydney, Cape Breton. The crew of four included Isaac Smith, master, who left a wife and one child; and three young unmarried men, William Steward, Smith Stewart, and Joseph Wallace. Another vessel, Yard Point, left Cold Bay in a vessel loaded with coal, bound for St. John’s, Newfoundland the day before the gale. The crew included Captain John McLeod; a son of George Wright of Liverpool; Stewart Allan and Frank McLeod, son of the captain. Capt. McLeod and Stewart Allen left wives and families.
September September, 1966 - Wesley United Church, Hunts Point, celebrated its 100th anniversary. The first Methodist Church stood near beach and was called Methodist Meeting House. In 1866, Simeon Mailman donated land for the present building at the corner of Silver Rock Drive and Beech Hill Road.
September, 1939 - A storm destroyed the breakwater and fish houses in Hunts Point.
September, 1960 - Children of Hunts Point started classes in the little one-room school on Silver Rock Drive but after the Christmas holiday, climbed on buses for the trip to the new Port Mouton Consolidated School. They joined students from Port Mouton, Central Port Mouton, Summerville Centre and White Point.
September 1, 1873 - It was reported that the brig T. W. A. Rogers which left Liverpool on February 12, 1873, has not been heard of since.
September 2, 1873 - Captain Collins of the schooner Helen M. Crosby of Boston, which arrived in Liverpool, reported that on the previous Monday, while laying to in a heavy gale, north, northwest, in latitude 420 40 and 66 30 longitude, they lost Antoine Lewis, one of the crew, overboard, and also had a boat, davit and taffrail carried away.
September 16, 1865 - Fire in Liverpool destroyed 22 buildings, including two churches, the Masonic Hall, a number of shops and about a dozen houses.
September 19, 1880 - The New York Times reported an incident that had occured the previous week near Liverpool, Nova Scotia. The steamship Leverrier, which had arrived in New York the previous day from Newport, England, “fell in” with the dismasted Norwegian bark Statsminster Stang, and attempted to tow her into Halifax. Captain Erickson reported that his vessel had been dismasted on September 8. A hawser was passed to the steamship, and before daylight the following morning, the bark had been towed nearly 90 miles. The hawser suddenly parted near the bitts, where it had been made fast on board the steamship. A sailor standing nearby was struck and so badly injured that he was laid up during the remainder of the passage. The sea became so high that it was impossible to recover the hawser. The steamship lay to until daybreak, when Captain Erikson was asked if he was willing to abandon his vessel. He replied “No”. A heavy fog soon afterward settled down. The bark, with her foresail set, was seen drifting toward the shore until the fog hid her from view. Coffin Island Light was in sight when the hawser parted. The Leverrier proceeded on her course, and upon her arrival in New York, Captain Thompson learned that the Statsminster Stang went ashore at Eagle Head, a point near Liverpool, on Wednesday morning. All of the crew were saved. TheStatsminster Stang had left Rotterdam on August 31.
September 29, 1955 - Nova Scotia Premier Henry Hicks pressed a button to start the electric generators of Lower Great Brook hydro-development. It was the last avaialbe power site on the Mersey River.
November November 1, 1845 - The brigantine Virgin was grounded in Port Joli and completely destroyed except for the side that was thrown onto the beach. All seven crew members died. The vessel was carrying a large cargo of coal.
November 9, 1885 - Eldridge Smith left Liverpool for St. Pierre/Miquelon in the schooner Kestral with cargo for John Millard, one yoke oxen on deck. (from an old journal kept by Franklin Smith of Beech Hill)
November 14, 1955 - Janet Mullins, Liverpool historian and author of Some Liverpool Chronicles, published in 1941, died at the age of 92.
December December 13, 1778 - The King’s Orange Rangers, a royal provincial Loyalist regiment, organized mainly of men from New York and New Jersey, formed in an effort to support the crown in the American Revolution, arrived in Liverpool, at the request of local citizens to deter rebels privateers. They were under the direction of Captain John Howard. They remained until 1783. There are many local residents descended from members of KOR who stayed in Liverpool.